With #BraaiDay just behind us and summer ahead of us, the possibilities for new braai recipes are endless. Although vegetables at a braai is frowned upon, it makes for a healthy and yummy side dish. It could also fill the tummies of your vegetarian and vegan friends. With an array of brightly coloured veggies and the delicious basting sauce, these Rainbow kebabs are an absolute treat and a beautiful addition to your braai platter.
Garlic and herb spice
Salt and pepper to taste
90ml olive oil
10ml lemon juice
5ml apricot jam
15 ml Worcester sauce
5ml Dijon mustard
15 ml honey
2,5 ml soya sauce
1 garlic clove, crushed
5 ml dried mixed herbs
Pinch of salt and pepper
- If using wooden skewers, soak in water before use to prevent them from burning.
- Mix together all ingredients for the basting sauce and set aside for later.
- Cut vegetables into equal sizes, to your preference. Season with vegetable spice, garlic and herb spice, and salt and pepper.
- Steam mielies, butternut and potatoes on the fire for about 5 minutes until soft. Do this by adding a bit of water to a fireproof dish and covering it with foil.
- Once the steamed veggies are partly cooked, remove from fire and thread onto skewers together with the uncooked vegetables.
- Place kebabs on the grill at a medium heat. Baste kebabs with the basting sauce.
- Baste regularly as the kebabs cook. Remove from heat and serve when vegetables are soft.
See more recipes for kebabs here: