Making a sweet pizza on the fire after a braai is a real treat. The sweet pizza batter can be prepared beforehand and kept in the fridge to be rolled out quickly just before the braai is done. Add sweet topping of your choice and place on a tray. Leave on the grill over a medium to medium cool fire while you enjoy your main meal.
Try our Farm Fare sweet pizzas on the fire in three ways – Boozy pineapple and maple bacon, Nectarine and chocolate melt, or try a folded over version (calzone) with poached plum and mascarpone. Find the ingredients list for all three toppings and the sweet pizza base below.
Sweet pizza batter
2 cups self-rising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp caster sugar
1 egg, beaten
- Sift the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the fat and rub in with the fingertips. Stir in the sugar.
- Mix in the egg and enough of the milk to form a soft but not sticky dough.
- Knead gently on a lightly floured surface. Roll out and line a 23cm pizza pan that can be placed on a fire.
- Add toppings of your choice and place on grill for about 30 minutes until cooked through.
Boozy pineapple and maple bacon
100mℓ Maple syrup
- Peel and cut pineapple into large pieces. Marinade in half of the maple syrup and whiskey.
- Braai pineapple on the grill until soft and golden. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Braai bacon on fire and pour the remaining maple syrup on bacon while it cooks. Braai bacon until caramalised and crispy enough to be cracked into shards. Break bacon into shards.
- Spread mascarpone on rolled out base and top off with pineapple and bacon.
- Braai on fire until base is cooked.
Stuffed poached plum and mascarpone
5 plums, poached with cinnamon
- On a circular rolled pizza base place poached plums on one side of the pizza, but not too close to the edge.
- Add blobs of mascarpone.
- Fold pizza over and seal edges with your fingers.
- Gently place on open grill or on a pan.
- Remove once golden and cut into pieces.
- Serve with more mascarpone on top.
Citrus and chocolate melt
1 slab chocolate, melted
1-2 oranges or naartjies, segmented
- Pour melted chocolate on the base of a lined fire proof pan.
- Pack citrus segments in a circle on the chocolate.
- Place pizza pan on fire until base is cooked.
- Top off with more melted chocolate and fresh mint for serving.