A hearty lentil stew is perfect for these cold winter days and nights. Farm fare received this delicious lentil dish from Pouyoukas Foods. This dish is not only comforting, but is quick and easy to make too. It is also a very healthy meal that is low fat, vegan and gluten free. Lentils are high in protein and packed with both soluble and insoluble fibre. Lentils do not need to be soaked like some other pulses and they are low in calories and high in nutrition. So it is no wonder that they have become one of the most popular foods around the world.
1¼ cups Pouyoukas lentils
1 bay leaf
2 carrots, peeled and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic
1 green pepper, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 potato, peeled and finely chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 cups water
1½ teaspoons paprika
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a medium sized pot and brown the onion. Add garlic, green pepper and tomato. Allow to cook until everything is very soft. Add a splash of water if necessary.
- Add paprika and bay leaf and cook for two minutes while stirring.
- Add water, carrots, potato and lentils.
- Bring to the boil, cover and reduce heat to low.
- Simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are soft and creamy.
- When the lentils are ready, add the soy sauce, salt and pepper to taste.
- This stew can be served thick or thin. Add more water if you want it to be more like soup. You can also thicken it with a couple of blitzes with a hand-held blender.
Here are more Farm fare recipes to get you through the winter: