Although savoury cheesecakes are not really a novel idea, the concept has recently been trending again. When the Plaas Publishing team was challenged to bake cheesecakes on an open fire, this delicious sweet chilli savoury cheesecake was born. The cheesecake was baked using a home-made brick oven filled with hot coals. It was served as a dip with crackers accompanied by fresh guacamole and tomato salsa. Try it yourself at your next braai or bake it in the oven.
2 packets cream crackers
3 tbsp corn starch
1 tsp salt
4 125ml sour cream
600g cream cheese
2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- Crush one packet of cream crackers to make fine crumbs for the base. Mix with melted butter.
- Line a black pot suitable for cooking on the fire with the crumbs to form the crust. Bake for 12 minutes and set aside to cool.
- Combine the sour cream, salt, cream cheese and corn starch without incorporating too much air into the mixture to prevent the cheesecake from cracking.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well.
- Add the sweet chilli sauce and black pepper.
- Now fill the crust with the filling and bake for 1 hour.
- If the cheesecake is firm around the sides and soft in the centre, remove and cool completely.
- Smooth sweet chilli sauce over the cheesecake surface.
- Serve with crackers as a dip with guacamole and fresh tomato salsa. – Farm fare
Find more farm fare recipes here: