There are few things South Africans love more than to sit around a warm fire, after a scrumptious meal, with good company, old stories and a hot drink. This delicious salted caramel hot chocolate will be the perfect ending to a braai and can be prepared on the fire. The recipe for caramel sauce yields much more than you need for one or two hot chocolates, keep it and use it again the next time your taste buds crave this winning combination.
¾ cup water
1 tsp butter
½ tsp sea salt
1.5L full cream milk
500ml full cream
500ml Caramel sauce
2 slabs dark chocolate
- Dissolve sugar in water in a medium saucepan over low heat. Bring to the boil. Gently boil, without stirring, for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from heat.
- Immediately stir in cream until smooth. Stir in butter until combined then add sea salt and combine again. Transfer to a heatproof jug. Cool slightly and leave for later use.
- Finely chop the dark chocolate.
- Pour the milk and cream into a pot that can be placed on the fire.
- Add the chocolate to the milk and place on fire to boil.
- Stir regularly while boiling until the chocolate has melted.
- Add caramel sauce and combine.
- Serve warm in a heat proof cup or glass.
Find more Farm fare recipes here: