Looking for an excuse to spend more time outside this summer? Have some fun making mini donut kebabs on the fire. This candy kebab is the perfect combination of melted marshmallows, chocolate and mini donuts. Customise it and add different elements. Perfect for a surprise dessert after a braai.
1 ball of store-bought dough
1 litre of oil
1 slab Top Deck chocolate, melted
250ml desiccated coconut
1 bottle honey
1 bunch bananas
1 pack marshmallows
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Wooden skewers, soaked
- Leave the slab of chocolate in the sun to melt while you prepare.
- Pinch pieces of the dough off and roll into small balls, approximately 3 cm thick.
- Heat the oil on warm coals; this might take a while.
- Fry the balls in hot oil until golden brown and done in the middle.
- Dunk one half of the first batch of donuts in the melted chocolate. Leave to harden.
- Drizzle the second batch with honey as they come out of the oil and roll in desiccated coconut. Set aside to cool.
- Chop bananas, sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon. Place on skewers and grill until banana caramelises.
- Add marshmallows to the kebabs and grill quickly on a low fire.
- Lastly, add a donut to each kebab. Serve. –Ursula Human, Farm fare