Why not spend your Christmas outside with the family to try this unique recipe for cooking leg of lamb on the open fire? This fool proof recipe is guaranteed to become a family favourite for any festive event. This recipe was share with us by the Bearded Chef via Lamb and Mutton SA. Watch a short video with all the steps below.
1 Leg of lamb
1 Carrot, roughly chopped
1 Whole Garlic, peeled
2 Onions, roughly chopped
500ml French salad dressing
Zest of two oranges
1/3 cup honey
- Place a black cast iron pot or three legged “potjie” over hot coals, heat some oil in the pot.
- Caramelise the chopped onion in the pot. Remove and set aside.
- Make 10 small incisions in the meat
- Stuff the incisions with the garlic cloves and chopped carrots
- Brown the piece of meat in the pot
- Cover the meat with the caramelised onions and the French salad dressing.
- Cover the pot and let it cook slowly for 3 hours. Make sure you have a constant supply of hot coals.
- Add the orange zest and honey just before serving – John Hall, Lamb and Mutton SA