This delicious and unusual pizza can be made on the fire, for the next time you want to try something new on the braai. Making pizzas on a braai actually works really well and adds a smoky flavour. The zesty citrus and creamy cheese combine wonderfully, making an ideal starter to share or serving as a main meal.
Pomegranate kernels and cashew nuts can be added as extras for colour and texture, or alternatively add smoked chicken breast or smoked salmon for a meaty version. This recipe was provided by one of our own Plaas Publishing staff members, Aneldie Botha.
- 50mℓ plain yoghurt
- 2 cups Mozzarella, grated
- ½ grapefruit, segmented
- ½ orange, segmented
- 1 cup fresh basil, finely chopped
- 50mℓ cream cheese
- Pizza base (see recipe here)
- Prepare your pizza base. It can be made from scratch or bought from your local supermarket. Drizzle your pizza dough with some olive oil and roll it out to be +-1cm thick.
- Place your pizza base on the grill on a medium hot fire and let it bake until the crust turns slightly brown, and then flip the base.
- Immediately thereafter, start to spread the plain yoghurt on your base and add mozzarella cheese. Allow for the cheese to melt. Make sure that the base does not burn at the bottom.
- Remove your pizza base from the fire as soon as the cheese is melted and the base has a light brown colour.
- Chop the basil into smaller pieces and place it on the pizza base.
- Peel and cut the orange and grapefruit into thin pieces and place these on the pizza.
- Place the cream cheese on your pizza for a final decadent touch. – Ursula Human, FarmBiz