Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
Doing some research before entering into a transaction with an auctioneering company can avoid disappointment and problems that may occur through dealings with unprofessional or unscrupulous auctioneers.
Sonja Styger, chief administration officer of the South African Institute of Auctioneers (SAIA), provides farmers with some practical advice in this regard. Farmers should do a quick check to establish whether the company selected is legitimate and is a member of SAIA rather than jumping headlong into the bidding process or putting up assets for auction.
SAIA is the professional body of the industry and provides oversight and guidelines for the industry. It also acts on indiscretions by member companies and can be called upon to mediate in the event of disputes. Members are also required to uphold a strict code of conduct and ethical behaviour in dealing with the public.
“I cannot think of one good reason why a potential seller or buyer would choose to use an unregistered auctioneer. There is no cost benefit, nor is there safety in not knowing the credentials of an auctioneer.
“That is the reason why we have gone to great lengths to make SAIA member lists easily available on the web, social media, in the office or by means of a simple phone call to our office. When listing assets that are potentially worth a lot of money or buying goods with their hard-earned cash, we always advise people to take the time to contact SAIA and rather be safe than sorry,” says Sonja.
The lists are constantly updated and easily indexed according to the company name, region and industry served, and can be found on multiple SAIA platforms including:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/auctioneeringsa
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/saia_auctioneering/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/auctioneeringsouthafrica
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/saia-the-s-a-institute-of-auctioneers-4a2892170/
- YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnX0LHr_LXvqnPceIgA9kNQ
- Website: www.auctioneering.co.za
- Auction Blog: https://www.auctionblog.co.za/
- WhatsApp: 081 410 2622
- Tel: 021 813 6342
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
– Press release, South African Institute of Auctioneers (SAIA)