Estimated reading time: 2 minutes
The best of the best was recently crowned at Grain SA’s Grow for Gold Awards ceremony held in Johannesburg. The awards are aimed at giving recognition to producers who achieve exceptional yields. According to Caria Badenhorst who is the marketing manager of seed at Pioneer, the competition was developed in 2017 to provide a platform for producers to showcase their skills and dedication. “This competition is aimed at pushing the boundaries of seed production.”
Grain SA’s Grow for Gold National Yield Competition allows producers to compete in various categories, including dry and irrigated land. Producers are further divided into both regions and national participation, and innovative production practices and smart farming plans are encouraged to achieve the highest yields per hectare, regardless of the cultivar planted. The competition is the only one of its kind hosted by Grain SA and includes maize, wheat, sunflower and soya bean production.
Agricol dominated the soya bean category with a few competition records.
Here are the competitors who achieved competition records:
- Maize in the Eastern Free State region: Gerrie Claassen of Bethlehem with a yield of 14,093tons/ha (Pioneer P2432).
- Maize in the Water Table region: Gerhard Botma from Bothaville with a yield of 13,256 tons/ha (Bayer DKC76-77BR).
- Soya bean in KwaZulu-Natal: Jacobus Louw from Paulpietersburg with a yield of 5,743tons/ha (Agricol DM68R09).
- Soya bean in the Eastern Highveld region: Danie Bester of Balfour with a yield of 6,24tons/ha (Agri-Seed RA 565R).
- Soya bean category in the Eastern Free State region: Jacques Hattingh from Bethlehem with a yield of 6,62tons/ha (Agricol DM5351RSF).
- Soya bean in the Central region: Steve Cave from Koster with a yield of 5,659tons/ha (Agricol DM6.8iRR).
- Soya bean in the North West region: Jopie Fourie from Makwassie, with a yield of 5,695tons/ha (Agricol DM6.8iRR).
- Soya bean category in the Water Table region: Casper du Toit from Hoopstad with a yield of 6,133tons/ha (Agricol DM6.8iRR).
- Soya bean irrigation category: Jan van Heerden from Hartswater with a yield of 6,668tons/ha (Agricol DM5953RSF).
- Sunflower category, sunflower oil yield per hectare: Frik van Rooyen from Lichtenburg with a yield of 4,166tons/ha and an oil percentage of 45,90% (Pioneer P65LL02). Van Rooyen also achieved a record in the sunflower grain yield per hectare category. – Elmarie Helberg, Plaas Media