The Gift of Giving, the final lot at last weekend’s 2018 Cape Wine Auction, held at the Rustenberg Wine Estate in Stellenbosch, raised an incredible R2.9 million.
This was part of the final tally of R17.5 million raised, all of which will go towards education in the Cape winelands.
What makes it even more impressive is that those who bid for the lot were not after fine wine, valuable artwork or a glamorous getaway; they were simply pledging in R100 000 increments towards specific educational goals identified by the Cape Wine Auction Trust.
The Gift of Giving lots comprised the following (with what each R100 000 contributed will provide):
- Lot 1. Nutrition: 35 000 nutritious school lunches to 175 vulnerable children every day.
- Lot 2. Psychosocial Support: 500 hours of counselling for children at their school, by qualified psychologists, counsellors or social workers.
- Lot 3. Technology: 20 computers to be installed at a school, facilitated and managed by the Click Foundation.
- Lot 4. Staff Training: 44 Pebbles Project permanent employees for a year to ensure the staff stay informed of the latest developments in their respective fields.
- Lot 5. Mother tongue Instruction: 10 Afrikaans educational computer programmes for after-school projects in the rural Robertson and Montague areas, facilitated by the Anna Foundation.
- Lot 6. Empowering Girls Through Technology: Eduvate enrols 20 Grade 10 girl learners from the Stellenbosch area in an 18-month coding programme with Code4CT – an organisation that focuses exclusively on teaching female high school learners to code.
- Lot 7. Transport: Transport services to 80 children in the winelands for a year.
- Lot 8. Literacy: A reading corner in four classrooms from grade R to grade 3 at a school, including books, floor cushions, mats, easels for big books, posters and teacher packs, plus fully-illustrated dictionaries for the children to use.
- Lot 9. Training for Early Childhood Development practitioners: The training of 42 Early Childhood Development practitioners and providing them with resources to run Early Childhood Development programmes.
- Lot 10. Pre-School Centre: A pre-school centre for 25 children for an entire year including the provision of educational resources, training for the centre staff, stationery and furniture. – Press release